20 February 2009

chicken and dumplings.

The last time I made chicken and dumplings, it was too much of a chaotic disaster to really share the recipe. Well, I was in the mood to eat my feelings so alas I gave 'em another shot. The results were much more in tune with how easy I thought these should be. I bet this would be a great crock pot recipe, great for using up leftover chicken etc. etc.

Adapted from here and here.

2 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 cups frozen veg of your choice (I think peas & carrots were the best)
1 onion, sliced up, sauteed with 1 tsp of garlic and some salt. The flavor is great if you let it get really dark. (after mine was done cooking, I stirred in a couple of tablespoons of butter just for fun)

Set all this stuff to the side.

--

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon margarine (melted is easier)
1/2 cup milk
As much parsley as you want

Stir together flour, parsley, baking powder, sugar, and salt in medium size bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk to make a soft dough.

Set aside.

--

1 1/2 cups whole milk (if you have cream or half and half on hand, dump it in! creamy is better!)
1 can chicken stock (I got the low sodium stuff and it was plenty savory)
1 can cream of chicken (or whatever) soup (I bet celery would be awesome)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Stir it all together. Bring it to a boil. Dump in the chicken and vegetables. Drop the dumplings in by the spoonful. Cover and simmer 15 minutes without lifting lid. Serve.


---
Those wanting your chicken a little less cooked could wait to stir it in till the end. Flour could be added to make the soup/gravy thicker, but I think with the residual bits from the dumplings, it's just fine.
It really depends on what you want.

No comments: