19 July 2008

one last hurrah.

I have ordered new running shoes. The last time I bought new running shoes, I was living in student housing somewhere else, so it's been a touch too long. Anyways, in hour of my return to plodding up and down hills and everywhere in between, I made my favorite cake. I wanted cupcakes but I don't have any muffin pans (hint, hint, my birthday is coming). At any rate, I have posted this recipe before but have made some major changes and will never, ever look back. It is more dense, less sweet and infinitely more rich but oh so tasty for a person on the verge of starting a fitness programme.

Perfected Chocolate Cake (adapted from here)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup strong coffee
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, cream, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean or cake is springy to touch. Frost.


Perfected Chocolate Frosting

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 or more cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
splash of strong coffee

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and cream, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional powdered sugar, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting. If you want the frosting to be fluffy, wait to make the frosting until just before serving. It collapses over time but is still awesome.

No comments: