04 July 2008

don't forget the sunscreen.

I was reading this editorial today in the Times. It references new standards for sunscreen issued last year by the FDA that have yet to be put into effect. Sunscreen is kind of a big deal for me; over the last few summers it's replaced moisturizer in my morning routine. After moving to Utah-- a state with some of the highest rates of skin cancer-- it has replaced moisterizer all together and I slather it on my face every morning.

Anyways, in lieu of the FDA's offerings, the editorial linked to the Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" sunscreen database. Mine rated in the top 18% at a moderate level of safety and effectiveness but did not make the recommended list. This is 45 spf, people! I think I will shop for sunscreen a little more carefully in the future.

No comments: