05 September 2008

if the real thing won't do the trick.

I was glad to read that Heart does not abide by the McCain / Palin campaign's use of their song "Barracuda." As someone who has seen Heart live-- I like to emphasize this fact as much as possible so let's say it one more time-- As someone who has seen Heart live in a venue of under a thousand people and considered it a transformative experience, I was glad they took a stand. Because as someone who has seen them live, you can just tell that they are my kind of bitches-- when you've seen them live you know they aren't passive. (Ok, I'll stop)

Anyways, bummer for the McCain people because besides being a song full of rage, it is probably the best song that could've been picked for Palin. And not because of Palin's "Barracuda" nickname, which I think Ann and Nancy would agree is the dumbest nickname ever. But check out these lyrics:

"You lying so low in the weeds
I bet you gonna ambush me
You'd have me down down down down on my knees
Now wouldnt you, barracuda?"

or how about this:

"If the real thing don't do the trick
You'd better make up something quick

You gonna burn burn burn burn it to the wick
Ooooooh, barracuda"

My goodness that embodies what a joke this whole thing is!


I am kind of at a loss for where the campaign might go from here. Something by the Dixie Chicks might've worked but they were damned to hell a couple of years ago by the GOP. Maybe "Ironic" by Alanis Morrisette (don't ya think)? She probably wouldn't like that either. If we're going Seattle themed, maybe "Better Man" by Pearl Jam? McCain could be the woman in the song who "can't find a better man." Too bad Eddie Vedder might just spontaneously combust at the thought. I take it back.

Post your suggested Sarah Palin campaign songs in the comments, even if the artist would go apeshit.

2 comments:

Michaele said...

This isn't a song suggestion- It's kinda sad the GOP hasn't figured out that they should check out the lyrics to a song before the use it- think Reagan and "Born in the USA"

Anonymous said...

Heard Palin on the news tonight, made Don change the channel, can't stand the sound of her voice! Don't think that there is a song for her!