29 April 2008

for the end of the month, a theme.

So it occurred to me just now as I was eating some chicken curry leftovers as fast as humanly possible (I love curry for so many reasons that it deserves its own post) that without really intending to, this blog has had kind of a theme this month-- Restaurants of April! I have been out quite a bit this month (and am loving it... and my grocery spending is down so it's not like I'm spending more on food, I'm just way tastier food). So as the month wraps up, I present to you three more reviews of quality restaurants in the fair city of Salt Lake. In order of consumption:

Rico: This was actually my second run-in with this venerable catering institution here in town. Both meals have been pretty good-- the enchiladas were tasty the first time, and last Thursday-- whew! I have been dreaming about the avocado salad dressing ever since. And they have this really nice, personable lady working for them who cares really deeply about what she does, and that alone makes the food taste even better. I think the food is called "fresh mex."

Red Butte Cafe': I'll be honest, any restaurant experience is better when you know people that work there. They are owned by the same people as Desert Edge, I hear, so they serve the same tasty beers but without the shitty food. I had a turkey/avocado sandwich (they put a whole avocado on there people! yes, I almost fainted in delight) with the house pasta salad. Yummy times... though their food does need heavy salt supplementation (duh! easy fix!). Their desserts are out of this world-- *adored* the Chocolate Turtle Mousse cake and will undoubtedly be craving it sometime soon... like now.

East-West Connection: My adviser took our whole class here for dinner. Since the food is served family style, everybody just shared everything (is there anything more kum-bay-ya than supping in that fashion? after all of the yelling that went on in that class, certainly not). I ordered the chicken curry and as may be inferred, I was very careful to snag the leftovers. The chicken was (and even after reheating, still is) so perfectly moist. They also have really beautiful paintings on the wall, which I think is nice.

So there you have it. I don't think I'll be going out in the next few days, and since my restaurant-going companion is taking off for the summer, it may be a while until my next decent meal... oh who am I kidding, I'll find somebody to go with. I finally know where all the good places are!

2 comments:

Frederick Ingram said...

Red Butte Cafe is just awfully cool, right down to the snakey menus. Was that the Rico on 8th South? They have salmon tamales in banana leaves.

melanie said...

It was actually some mondo catering warehouse venue they have somewhere down ~5th West I think? Haven't actually been to their cafe' yet.