22 April 2008

as this book shows, we love men with guns.

Tonight was the last meeting of my women & gender class. It made me sad-- it's been the smallest of my classes and even though we'd be reduced to shouting sometimes, I really came to love the group dynamic. Tonight we discussed Warrior Dreams (which you should totally put on your fun summer reading list-- it's totally entertaining, I assure you). In honor of tonight's meeting I present you with some of the choicest quotes from the evening (maybe they'll only be funny to me, but whatevs):

"What's scarier than a feminist with a gun?"

"I think being a mercenary would be the best use of my master's degree."

"You hit the ethnic jackpot!!!"

"But I'm talking about the evil, scary side of the coin!"

"Bambi's mom was asking for it!"

"At the end Bambi falls in love with a woman."
"That's disgusting!!!"

"Where does reality mix with fantasy?"
"Fox News!"

A certain mother of ten on why one of her sons feels
inclined to decorate her home
with swords:
"I know the problem! I read Lord of the Rings when I was pregnant."

(another student sighs) "I'm so glad my mom's not a reader."

"And they ride out into space as their own little heterosexual family:
the mother, the baby and the robot."

"You're forgetting that the holster symbolizes the vagina!"

I am so going to miss that class. Discussions like that-- I left out the sustained arguing over the impact of Vietnam on culture, Freud, masculinity, and the appeal of naked women with guns-- really make me glad that I'm in grad school.

No comments: