02 May 2011

justice.

I remember on September 11, 2001, when my mom, an Air Force reservist, was called to base to wait to see if she would have to go to war somewhere.


I remember what it was like to know my uncle and brother's brother-in-law were close to the action during and after the invasion of Iraq.


I remember what it was like to live with someone as he spiraled into despair and addiction as he dealt with what he experienced there.


I remember what it's been like, over the past nine years to have another uncle, a cousin, and a stepfather stationed in the Middle East.


I remember that my mother, every single day, has served domestically and overseas to support those who have been involved in the War and their families.


I remember what it was like to have numerous friends filter in and out of my ward between tours to Afghanistan and Iraq. I remember how it changed them.


I remember what my family and so many people I know have sacrificed, all of the terror and worry we felt, all of the distance.  I remember of all of the other military families across the country. I remember that it's only a fraction of what people who have lost have felt.


And I don't feel any remorse. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, and maybe things won't change. It doesn't change the past and it doesn't bring back the dead.
But just for a moment, for me, for my family, for my country:
I am relieved.

No comments: