04 May 2011

comps mini-journal, day 13.

The awesome thing about this process is how my capacity for sleep seems to be expanding. And how it takes me forever to really wake up. This brain is feelin' tired.

Today I rocked the no makeup look. It adds authenticity to the persona of frazzled comps taker that I am trying to perfect. Today I finished an essay- all it needs is a title and an intro quote (or for me to delete the note about inserting an intro quote). The big US field came in at 12 pages with 40 footnotes. As a sign of how little writing I've done this semester-- I forgot what a time suck footnotes are. I spent half my day cleaning up the essay and making the footnotes tidy, and boy are they beautiful! Imagine the satisfaction you get from totally cleaning your house. That's how looking at these bad boys makes me feel.
my precious

My workspace inspires no such feelings. I've tried to stay on top of the books and the detritus, but like a busy toddler, I get a lot of pleasure from taking the books off the shelf and putting them on the floor.


Needless to say, I have a lot of housekeeping to do this weekend. When my exams are turned in.


This is not entirely accurate, as I will probably turn my exams in around 7 am on Friday. Or maybe around 10:30, after I give the final for my TA class. I am starting to plan on an all nighter. The formatting stuff has taken so long on the 2 American essays that I am not entirely sure how my day of Latin Americaness will go. There's slightly fewer footnotes, but that essay is a complete wreck. So I'm soldiering on. Will finish the dissertation field essay before bed tonight so I can hunker down and work the shit out of that essay tomorrow.

Compsjams with Polly Scattergood:





I can't wait to be done.



(this is for you, Kara :) )

2 comments:

Kara said...

GIF! Cannot. Stop. Looking.

Footnotes. You are my hero. I cannot imagine a worse hell.

Matt in Tacoma said...

At least you're not doing this: http://bit.ly/knoyxb

...yet.

Keep it together! Wipe that drool off your chin!

Btw, I drove by the "Steilacoom was First" sign today, which notes that they not only were the first city incorporated in Washington, but also had the First Library and....the First Jail!