27 March 2008

rides of march, part five

egrediously inefficient bike rack near ambulance loading dock, with backboards in the background.


I woke up this morning with a deep yearning in my soul. Mocha. I wanted a Mocha.

While the need for magicalespressocoffeedrink is easily filled in this part of the world, today obtaining my fix seemed less simple. It was snowing-- big, giant, fluffy flakes turning the landscape into the surface of a powdered sugar donut. What to do? I recalled there is a Starbuck's in the nearby hospital. So I saddled up the Red Rider, put on my Posh Spice Sunglasses / Snow Goggles and (for once) my helmet and away I went.

Once the wanted elixir was secured, I sat down in the seating area. One of the hazards of going to Starbuck's alone is that inevitably I find myself eavesdropping. Today was no different. A man sat nearby, sedately plugging in his laptop, talking on his phone.

He told the person on the other end that he was in Utah. That his son had been in a car accident driving home from work in Park City. That his car had flipped six times. That his son was in critical care. That when he arrived in Utah, the doctors had prepared him for the death of his son. That every day his son has hung on and improved. That that's just how it goes. He said it all with a very straight face, with an assured acceptance of the situation that somehow conveyed sorrow and relief all at once.

My tears betrayed me; I had to leave.

To be so lucky that my greatest concern is where to get some coffee when it's snowing.

No comments: