29 March 2008

it's not you, it's your books.

I have to say, I really loved this essay in the New York Times Book Review entitled "It's Not You, It's Your Books." Ok, yah, so I'm enjoying a quiet evening at home with a pint of Ben & Jerry's S'mores ice cream in one hand (graham cracker chunks in ice cream = amazingness) and a cannister of almonds in the other (edgy!!). So you could definitely accurately say, "Yah, you would like that article." The article is about the concept of dumping someone because of their taste in books. What a bourgeois dilemma!!!

For the record, I have never rejected someone solely because of their taste in books. I have definitely connected with people over books-- I'm not going to lie that I love it when somebody says they loved The Fountainhead. I doubt this would ever be the basis of a relationship though-- although I would probably marry a guy who adores The Handmaid's Tale as much as I do. Admittedly, I feel reasonably safe from the problem all together. Graduate School is such a magical cocoon where seemingly everyone is well read. But I digress.

The article did get me thinking about the books I list as favorites and why-- as well as a notable silence on my list that I should probably confront. As it stands right now, I have five books listed as my favorite books on Facebook. I think they are reasonably expressive of my tastes and influences. They are as follows, with accompanying justifications:

The Handmaid's Tale-- recommended to me for summer reading by the brilliant Mrs. Clark, my 11th grade English teacher. It was my first exposure to anything even remotely dealing with the intersections of feminism and religion-- skillfully done by Margaret Atwood in the form of a dystopian novel. I reread this book annually. Incidentally some of the events and people who inspired the book will comprise a significant component of my Master's thesis.

Behind the Scenes of the Museum-- recommended to me by my seminar advisor at PLU. A brilliant, funny novel about families, secrets told in kind of a material culture perspective.

Women of the Republic-- Token history book. I adore Linda Kerber's work. This book is about women in colonial America and the early United States and how they found political influence through a concept Kerber calls "Republican motherhood." I listed this book before I found my thesis topic, but interestingly it connects to it in a conceptual way that I hadn't really considered.

Home Away From Home-- I read this moving novel last fall during Fall Break as I negotiated some significant life changes. It's about a 30's-ish woman whose husband dies and her life in the year after he dies. Usually, I don't like grief novels, but if anything it's about accepting changes and letting yourself experiment and make mistakes as you figure out a new identity. A beautiful and appropriate story.

Lamb-- recommended by my brother over Christmas. A very funny novel about the adventures of Jesus and his best friend Biff. Reminds you of how little we know about Christ. Very funny.

The unnamed book-- I admit I have previously been too embarrassed to list it--it's by no means high literature in any form-- Danielle Steele's Jewels. Typical Danielle Steele-- independent woman made strong by circumstance falls in love with wealthy man, finds success and fulfillment in life. It's such a guilty pleasure! Someday some young historian will write her dissertation on the role of of Steele's books on our culture. Someday, someday-- you people will understand the importance of this book!

You know, I just realized that there is probably room for The Little House books on this list, but that's a post in and of itself. At any rate, there you go, take me or leave me, those are my faves.

No comments: