03 August 2010

a dispatch from the summer of 2010.


It's been a while since I blogged.  I think the whole internet slows down during the summer, and personally, I think it's fantastic.  I haven't been posting because I've been playing pretty hard.  Playing too hard to finish LGRAB's summer games... or to even ride my bikes.  Playing too hard to do the reading and language study I should be getting to... or to even get to the library.  Playing too hard to clean my floors or paint that bookshelf.... or to even buy groceries.  


It's been delightful.  


My body bears the telltale signs of a summer well-spent-- a range of ever changing tan lines, a tummy that's a little soft after a good many beers, and a headful of hair that's getting white blonde.  My friendships feel strong and ready for the assault of another year of graduate school-- my fourth.  After going all over-- to Delaware, South Jersey, The Shore, New York, Boston and Cambridge-- I am eager to fly home tomorrow to continue the summery process of replenishing my spirit.  This summer has taken on an unexpected richness, a kind of abundance that would seem inconceivable if you saw how low my bank balance is or knew how hot it got in the house we moved out of or about any other number of dramas.  But still, life is sweet, and there is nothing more to do, I suppose, than finish with my favorite poem, because it seems to capture all the joy of living that I'm so high on right now.  It's funny how life gets to be so good when you aren't finishing all the items on the to-do list, or, even better, when you forget the to-do list existed at all.


wishing you a merry summer from Philly!





i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes


(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)


how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?


(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
- e.e. cummings



Don't forget: It's not too late to help the children and win a bag o' swag at Tacoma Bike Ranch!!

1 comment:

portlandize said...

I have to say, for me the bliss usually comes when it starts getting foggy and drizzly and the heat starts to recede, but otherwise I can completely relate -

it's great to see that life goes in cycles, and once you get through enough of life to be able to see them and realize them, it's very comforting, reassuring and centering.

Those times when you can just be carefree and do as you will, spend time on your own or with friends, they offer a repose and a relaxation from the rigor that the coming time will bring, which in turn will lead to another period of relaxation, all the better after having worked your muscles (literally and figuratively).

One of the things I think it's a shame that we seem to have lost much of in modern society is an appreciation for these cycles - in fact we've worked to eliminate them.

But the truth is, the cycles of work and relaxation, of effort and rest, of enjoyment and hardship, of life and death are extremely important to our physical, mental and emotional health, and the more we engage in them, the more balanced and grounded we will be, I think.

That's why it's important to have a balanced view of life, to really live the moments you are in, but to also remember where you've been and have a view of where you want to go - it's important to engage in life in each part of every cycle, to remember that life is a cycle and what has come before, and to realize it will come around again and again.

Life really is ecstatically beautiful, as hard as it is. Death and hardship and all the mess of the world included, there is a beauty in existence that is just beyond coherent expression.