28 October 2009

the eyes of my eyes are opened.

 e.e. cummings' "i thank you god for this most amazing" popped into my head this morning.  To me it's the happiest, sunshiney-ist poem in the world, a sincere prayer of gratitude that I have oft repeated. It reads:






i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)



This morning I considered sarcastically rewriting it, including the damnable heavy rain and the tribulations of being a graduate student as apart of my fascetious catalog of blessings. I decided against it for sake of time (being in such a hurry to leave the house to go to school to read a book that I forgot at home, in the rush) and went on my merry day.


At midday, I hit the wall, admitted defeat, and resigned myself to the misery brought upon me by my own forgetfulness, copiers, my eagerness to sign up for conferences I don't have time for, and even my own acid tongue.  


It was an off day, and when I got home I started to tweet that the only redeeming quality of the it was that I had realized that I had good hair this morning, and throughout the mess of my day had continually been able to say, "at least I have really great hair."


But.


I kept finding things to add on that had made the day better, and had vastly exceeded my number of allowed characters with all of my qualifications.  There were so many redeeming qualities in my day! So many good people that make my life better! So many that I had to name them, one by one:


-an in-depth discussion about gin with L.


-A letting me whine ad nauseum about my troubles, including particularly pathetic complaints about soap residue. What a saint.


-unexpected professional development in class, which included a professor memorably giving a student five dollars for a well timed comment.


-Realizing with R that we constitute a peanut gallery, and getting to liken us to these guys:

(I am the short one, naturally)


-In turn, getting to talk about muppets at school.


-Did I mention how fun it is to have a girl friend here? Finally!


-A very nice girl brought "Happy World Series & Halloween" candy to class that included my favorite, Reese's PB cups.


-Seeing a modest, incredibly smart professor get the accolades she deserves. There was so much love in the room! Why do we wait until funerals to tell people how great they are?


-Free wine. Free wine. Free wine.


-M (a man) talking in a very loud voice about douching (you had to be there).


-My roommate telling me I should make cookies for our party instead of getting candy because my baking is so much better.


-A dry, low traffic, twilight ride home, complete with plenty of yellow leaves on the ground to ride through.


I don't talk to god hardly at all anymore, but some days I just have to put it out into the universe how glad I am that somebody- and so many- make(s) my life as beautiful and wonderful as it is. 


Good hair is a start, but being apart of everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes is so much better.


(excuse the wonky formatting... evil Blogger....)

No comments: