29 December 2009

2009 end of the year meme.

So I'm back in Philly, and like, so tired that I'm drooling.  It was smooth sailing getting back here, aside from the getting up and 4 am and having a facefullofsnot all day parts.  I am already homesick and missing the constant company of siblings, dogs, and the little people but feeling very enthusiastic about sleeping in my own bed tonight, once I dig it out from the laundry I left on it two and a half weeks ago.


Anyways, I was catching up on my blog reading to stave off going to bed too early and happened upon PilgrimSteps' version of the "2009 End of the Year Meme."  After a sort of blog hiatus, it looked appealing because it's a fill in the blank thing.  So here it goes:


1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Finished a Masters thesis, got my MA, fell in love with the English countryside, presented at three academic conferences, went to Wales, moved to the Eastern time zone, started a PhD program, sold my car and became a bike commuter, bought a pack of cigarettes (naughty naughty!).


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year, but 2010's will probably have to do with achieving balance or some shit.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
does my brother's BFF's wife count? my circle really isn't much for breeding.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
Lost a great uncle and an acquaintance from Utah.


5. What countries did you visit?
England, Wales, middle Pennsylvania.


6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
cop out answer: headlight for the Dahon, or better yet, a road bike.


7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
the day I went to Park City and decide to go to Temple, the day I played in the Pacific at Ocean Beach.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing my Master's thesis meant a lot to me.  Broadly, figuring out that I could make things happen in a big way.


9. What was your biggest failure?
The times that I lost sight of my worth and abilities. 


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The Great Kidney Stone of January, hangovers, heartburn.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
All those plane tickets. My iMac and my foam mattress will have to duke it out for runner-up. Also, a pair of gold leggings for my superstar niece.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My family, doy- and all the people who propped me up during a very difficult Spring semester, and really, year round.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Meh. I got over it. So let's go with all those people who tried to block healthcare reform.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, travel.


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
moving to Philly, going to England, going to Denver for WHA 


16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Sun Kil Moon, "Lost Verses." my anthem.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
a) way happier!
b) thinner
c) poorer


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
More fiction reading. More walks in the park by my house. More embroidery. More trips to the Philadelphia Art Museum. Basically, more me time during the school parts.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
fixating on my ridiculous man problems, moody wallowing and brooding.


20. How did you spend Christmas?
3 busy days with family, culminating in a beautiful dinner at "my other parent's" house.


21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I fell in love with my profession. A lot of things clicked for me. I fell in love with Philadelphia as I rode my bike every day. I am so happy to be here.


22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men and Gossip Girl. I get uber dorky over those shows.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I have better things to do with my energy.

24. What was the best book you read?
So the other night I was reading a book and my brother said something to this effect: "If somebody would've asked me a long tiime ago what you were going to be when you grew up, I would've said, 'I don't know, but she sure reads a lot of books.'" Here's my best effort at a short list:



For work: To Serve God and Wal-Mart; Catholic Intellectuals and Conservative Politics in America; Woman's Body, Woman's Right; Fighting for American Manhood; The Bitter Road to Freedom.


For pleasure: The Road; Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck; The Yiddish Policeman's Union.


I really discovered magazines in a huge way this year. I'm a little obsessed with Vogue and The New Yorker.


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Weepies, Phoenix, Sun Kil Moon's acoustic albums.


26. What did you want and get?
To have a life I could be happy with.


27. What did you want and not get?
see 30.


28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Wrestler. I also rediscovered Rocky and it occupies a special place in my heart. Godfather 1 and 2 as well.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Suffice it to say I drank a lot of free beers. I'll tell you the story in ten years.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It was pretty damn satisfying, if anything because I had such a great time working to make up for what I didn't have.


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Cardigans, or, dressing like a grown up. I was really into wearing a ton of colors at the beginning of the year, but I toned things down a lot as the year progressed. 


32. What kept you sane?
Family & friends, long soaks in the tub, bike rides, lager.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
John Hamm. Yowsers. Though I do love that Ed Westwick as well. 


34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Inauguration, health care, Iran, education funding.

35. Who did you miss?
So many people! I hung my hat in 4 different places this year, I was bound to miss somebody and everybody.


36. Who was the best new person you met?
I've been lucky to meet lots of great people in my new program and through the internets. 


37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
To paraphrase Thoreau: Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life that you've imagined. Build your castles in the air, then build foundations under them.


38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Don't stop me now

'cause I'm having such a good time!

-Queen, "Don't stop me now"


Let me know if you do the year end meme!

No comments: