25 March 2010

disclaimer: for once, church of the granny bike is going to be a little churchy.

True fact: whenever I get homesick, I listen to grunge music.  I get homesick when it rains because I think, hey, if I really wanted to live somewhere where it rained so much, I could just go home.  It's been raining a lot lately.  So I rediscovered Nirvana's Unplugged album. 


Did you catch that logic? Are you with me?  


Anyways, this time around The Vaseline's cover "Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam"  caught my ear.  My latent inner Mormon has some theories as to why.  Thinking of Stella's post over at The Exponent,  and maybe even actually thinking about Jesus for a second,  the song is a good answer to the question of "How can we view and follow Jesus in a way that will actually bring about the Kingdom of Heaven on earth?"  Maybe Jesus wants us to be more than Sunbeams- maybe he knows what we are made of and that's enough.  He is our advocate, after all.


What this song also invokes for me a time I confessed to a guy I was dating that I didn't have very many hobbies.*  He suggested that I learn how to play the accordion.  This song makes me want to learn how to play the accordion. At home. In the rain. 



*I know, WTF. This blog is evidence that I have tons of hobbies. But whatever.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Strange. I usually found myself hiding my hobbies from the women I dated, for fear that they'd think I was a big fat nerd.

Stella said...

Melanie! Great post! I actually was channeling some Nirvana (play on words) for my post on my blog.

Thanks for the mention. People commenting over on exponent were sweet, but goodness, I always link my posts on my facebook page I certainly got a few fundamental testimonies telling me how much i was a sinner because I was thinking about Jesus in those terms--but truth be told, Jesus and I have gotten along better once I stopped seeing him in the way they always taught me. Not that I don't agree with things, but I just think there is a lot more we are missing.

Matt in Tacoma said...

Well, it is raining in Tacoma right now. I think I'll put Unplugged on repeat and crochet a beer can hat while I wait for the bread to raise. I have hobbies and melancholy, but no Jesus, and I'm ok with that.

Michelle said...

My grandfather played the accordion, and when he died my mom got it. I'm going to learn how to play it this summer (for reals). I'll let you know how it goes. :)